|Join Hub247 Affiliate Forum / LOGIN! / Reviews by Users / Testimonials By Users|
Stats: 17 members, 736 topics. Date: Thursday, 20th June 2019
Lagosians Count Losses After Devastating Rain Storm / The Richest Cat In The World With $100M Fortune Dies / ‘Oldest man in the ‘world’ dies at 123 / Corpse falls out of coffin during a dance by pallbearers / Bishop Oyedepo Distributes Relief Materials To IDPs In Maiduguri /
(3 ) (Reply)
|Nigerian homosexuals are now the top asylum seekers in Canada – New Report by Investopedia: 7:48 am On May 19, 2019|
According to data received from the Refugee Protection Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, Nigerians are now the largest nationals seeking refugee status in Canada with 12,138 pending applications as of December 2018.
The Canadian authorities, however, pointed out that two out of every three Nigerian applicants claim to be victims of homophobic attacks. The Federal Government led by former President Goodluck Jonathan had in 2014 signed the Same Sex (Prohibition) Act which outlawed gay marriage and prescribed a prison term of 14 years for persons found guilty of such.
According to the RPD, which is in charge of hearing and deciding claims for refugee protection made in Canada, Nigeria has overtaken crisis-ridden Haiti which was number one the previous year. The total number of pending applications from across the world stood at 71,675 which implies that Nigeria represents about 17 per cent of total pending applications from amongst the over 170 countries.
Haiti comes a distant second with 6,811 pending applications while India has 5,175. Mexico has 3,525; Colombia, which ended a civil war barely three years ago, has 3,056 while China has 2,105. Jawad Kassab, who led the refugee and immigration programme at Legal Aid Ontario in 2017, said the agency had identified an unusual pattern in sexual orientation claims filed by Nigerian refugee seekers.
Kassab told CBC News that he was concerned that if claims were fabricated, refugees with legitimate claims might have a harder time getting the help they need.“ It galls me because of the potential impact it could have on the refugee system and the Canadian public’s perception of refugee claimants and refugees in a very vulnerable time globally,” he said.
Kassab said Legal Aid Ontario, which covers the legal costs for most refugee claims heard in the province, became suspicious after a routine review of refugee applications showed that 60 to 70 per cent of about 600 Nigerian claims made in Ontario since April 2017 were based on persecution because of sexual orientation.
The National Orientation Agency has therefore cautioned Nigerians against desperation while seeking asylum abroad, saying even though the body could not stop anyone from seeking better life somewhere, Nigerians should not do it by all means.
You get ₦2 for every well-constructive comment you drop.
|Re: Nigerian homosexuals are now the top asylum seekers in Canada – New Report by Taiwo: 12:55 pm On May 20, 2019|
Thank you for the accurate and non stop information.
|Re: Nigerian homosexuals are now the top asylum seekers in Canada – New Report by Senbanjo Adekunle: 4:12 pm On May 20, 2019|
carry on hub 247 your information is important to us keep it up
|Re: Nigerian homosexuals are now the top asylum seekers in Canada – New Report by Adenike Senbanjo: 2:05 pm On May 22, 2019|
Thank you so much for the update and for your information carry go.
1. Please post all threads in the right section, and don't derail threads by posting off topic.
2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.
3. Don't threaten, support or DEFEND violent acts against any person, tribe, race, animals, or group (e.g. rape).
4. Discussions of the art of love-making should be restricted to the hidden sexuality section.
5. Don't post pornographic or disgusting pictures or videos on any section of Hub247.
6. Don't say, do, or THREATEN to do anything that's detrimental to the security, success, or reputation of Hub247.
7. Don't post false information on Hub247.
8. Don't use Hub247 for illegal acts, e.g scams, plagiarism, hacking, gay meetings, incitement, promoting secession.
9. Don't violate the privacy of any people e.g. by posting their private pics, info, or chats without permission.
10. Don't create distracting posts with: ALL WORDS BOLD / huge font sizes / ALL CAPS / distracting imagesspaces, etc.
11. Please search the forum before creating a new thread on Hub247.
12. Don't attempt to post censored words by misspelling them.
13. Don't spam the forum by advertising in the wrong places or posting the same content many times.
14. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation.
You must be logged in to post a comment.